A post, finally! There have been many many things happening right now (Tenure shenanigans, conference meeting shenanigans, work shenanigans, etc.) that I’ve barely had time to squeeze in a blog post about all the amazing and interesting things I’ve found on the web: foxes playing on trampolines, or cats riding Roombas, or funny zombie signs–you get the picture.
So, on with it rather than veg out, right?
One of the things that I do want to share is this meme that made the rounds not too long ago in Facebook: 25 things about you, which goes nicely with the mostly selfish nature of blogs:
Rules: Once you’ve been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it’s because I want to know more about you.
1. I don’t have a poker face. I wish I did but dang it, you can read me like a book.
2. Lobsters are giant insects, but at least their insides are delectable.
3. I once climbed out a bathroom window w/my best friend to get away from two girls. This was high school so…you know.
4. I see beauty in everything: the curve of a knife, the impasto of a painting, the sleekness of sharks, really nice hand writing.
5. My older sister bonked me on the head with a lead pipe when we were little. I have a tiny scar on my forehead that seems to creep down as my baldness progresses.
6. Related to #5, my increasing baldness makes my forehead scar blaze with anger that I’m going bald.
7. Growing up I always had long hair, even when it wasn’t fashionable, hence my resentment in #5 & #6
8. Part of me thinks werewolves exist just to scare the piss out of me.
9. I have an overactive imagination.
10. I have seen what a bullet can do to a human being. A shotgun blast, too.
11. I emigrated to the U.S. in 1983 from El Salvador and haven’t been back. On a trip to Hawai’i the smell of tropical flowers flooded me with beautiful memories of my childhood.
12. I was going to be an illustrator a la N.C. Wyeth and Frank Frazetta and, while good, was punched on my artistic sensibilities by computerated graphics (that was the term then).
13. I love reading. As a librarian, I can pick the good ones.
14. I find religions fascinating but I’m not a believer. The “ultimate questions” keep me guessing and in flux, which I like.
15. I laugh easily and try to make light of everything. That’s what gets me into trouble too.
16. How come the specter of Death never wears plaid?
17. The funniest bumper sticker to date: “Isis Isis Ra Ra Ra!”
18. I’m really good at games hardly anyone plays anymore: foosball, chess, alligator wrestling.
19. I’m a Sagittarius through and through.
20. I really like beer (stouts & porters), wine (cabs & merlot), and tawny port.
21. I wish I could write creatively. I write like I play basketball: lots of dribbling and drooling but no pretty layouts.
22. I’m thankful for to be alive 99.8 percent of the time. I thought for sure I would never reach 30.
23. I almost choked to death when I gorged myself on powdered milk when I was 12.
24. I mentally whistle Monty Python’s “Always look on the bright side of life” when faced with hostile situations.
25. Caspar David Friedrich’s “Monk by the Sea” is illustrative of my inner self.
Now you know me a little better. Lucky you, huh?